JDI's commitment to social change work includes developing future leaders of our movement. Our exciting, hands-on and challenging internships offer opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students and others looking for work experience to learn more about the issues and develop skills as organizers and advocates.
Interns generally make commitments of at least ten hours per week (during regular business hours) for at least three months. Interns are supervised by a JDI staff member who is responsible for helping you accomplish your educational goals through participation in one of our projects or initiatives. Your internship might include any or a combination of activities such as research, project management, membership activities, educational and fund raising events, writing, or prevention work. If you are an undergraduate or graduate student you may be eligible for an internship that provides academic credit in exchange for your time working on a JDI project.
Check out our current internship opportunities.
We are NO LONGER ACCEPTING applications for Spring 2016.
The following internships are accepting applications for SUMMER 2016:
The following internships WILL NOT BE accepting applications for SUMMER 2016:
Policy and Systems Advocacy Intern - Please check back for FALL 2016 availability.
IMPORTANT NOTE: JDI does not provide direct services. If you are looking for an internship for direct service experience or need clinical hours working with survivors, we cannot accommodate you. We suggest you contact a local rape crisis center or domestic violence program or other direct service organization. To locate programs in your area, use our Search Programs Directory.
- Ten hours per week for a 3-month or semester long commitment.
- Age 18 years or older.
- Good written, communication and relationship skills.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism in various settings.
- Ability to travel to our office in downtown Boston.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Sense of humor optional but definitely helpful!
- See additional requirements for specific internship positions.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in an internship at JDI, follow these steps.
STEP 1. Check out our current listings for internships. If you don’t see something that fits your interests or needs, but still think that JDI would be a good intern placement for you, feel free to contact us. We may be able to develop an internship that is closer to your interests while helping JDI meet our goals.
STEP 2. If you are getting school/course credit for an internship, find out the internship requirements at your educational institution. Every college and university is different in terms of academic credit, length of internship, number of hours, and requirements on how you spend your time. This will help us develop an internship that meets your needs. It's not required that you are getting course credit to do an internship at JDI.
STEP 3. To apply for an internship, review the opportunities listed below, send an email with cover note, resume, and writing sample. JDI will screen your application, set up an interview, and determine if it’s a good fit.
STEP 4. Once you’ve negotiated a placement with JDI, you’ll probably need approval from your college or university. Be sure to provide JDI with any required paperwork. Agree on a start date and schedule.
If you would like to explore an internship at JDI, it’s a good idea to start the process well in advance. For a fall semester internship, we suggest starting the process during the spring and for a spring semester internship start during the fall.
The Men’s Initiative Project of Jane Doe Inc. works to 1) promote and support the role of men and boys in ending abuse; 2) reinforce messages of non-violence; 3) build partnerships between male allies with sexual assault and domestic violence organizations.is a network of men and boys throughout Massachusetts working to focus public attention on men’s role in preventing sexual assault and domestic violence. One of JDI's signature events, is the Massachusetts White Ribbon Day Campaign.
Interns will be involved in all aspects of the work - communications, fundraising, and field operations - and will work closely with the Project Coordinator, Development and Public Relations staff, and activists throughout Massachusetts. Interns will assist with creative development of collateral materials; recruiting volunteers; arranging for regional meetings; researching other campaigns; developing an Organizer’s Tool Kit; writing materials for multi-media campaign; assisting with maintenance of website; distribute materials; planning campaign events.
Additional requirements: Familiarity with HTML helpful.
Responsibilities: This internship will involve working with the Director of Policy and Systems Advocacy on various events, research analysis and intergovernmental collaborations.
• Research- Legislative, policy, legal and issues analysis conducted on project-to-project basis.
• Writing – Drafting legislative and budget advocacy material: action alerts, flyers and sample lobbying materials.
• Communications- Attend various working groups and intergovernmental collaborations and documenting meeting minutes.
Additional requirements: Basic understanding of laws, policy development, and systemic issues.
Responsibilities: This internship will involve working with the Communications Director on various media and public relations projects such as:
• Awareness Initiatives – Identify news outlets, drafting releases, pitch stories, set up talk show gigs, distribute public service announcements, and assist with materials development.
• Communications – Write material and articles for Jane Doe’s web-site, prepare information kits and staff information tables.
• On-going press work – Update media database, track news coverage.
• Development – Manage Cell Phone Drive, acknowledge gifts.
• Organization of materials and handouts
• Assistance with training site logistics and coordination
Additional requirements: Familiarity with website content management and social media helpful.