Domestic Violence Homicides in Massachusetts
The bottom line is that we believe—in fact we know—that domestic violence homicides are predictable, and, therefore, are preventable. This bold statement has driven much of JDI’s work over the past six years to address the ways that our systems, services, policies, and practices can help keep victims safe and hold offenders accountable.
For many years, JDI collected the names and accounts of victims of domestic violence homicide in Massachusetts. In 2005 JDI embarked on what has become a central issue for the Coalition: the prevention of domestic violence homicides. You can read more about our efforts in the Works in Progress section.
JDI identifies cases of domestic violence homicide in Massachusetts through a combination of media reports, alerts from our members, and notification by the district attorneys offices.
JDI considers homicides to be domestic violence-related if any of the following conditions are present:
- The homicide victim and perpetrator were former spouses or intimate partners, adults or teens with a child in common, or adults or teens in a current or former dating relationship;
- The homicide victim was a bystander or intervened in an attempted domestic violence homicide and was killed (including friends, family members, new intimate partners, law enforcement officers or other professionals attempting to assist the victim of domestic violence, roommates and co-workers);
- The motive for the murder was reported to have included jealousy, in the context of an intimate partner or dating relationship;
- A relationship existed between the homicide perpetrator and adult or teen victim that could be defined as exhibiting a pattern of power and control (including family or household members and caregivers).
Massachusetts Domestic Violence Homicide
- Detailed List 2017: January 1 to YTD (updated September 20, 2017)
- Narratives 2017: January 1 to YTD (updated September 20, 2017)
- Detailed List 2016: January 1 to December 31, 2016
- Narratives 2016: January 1 to December 31, 2016
- Detailed List 2015: January 1 to December 31, 2015
- Narratives 2015: January 1 to December 31, 2015
- Narratives 2014: January 1 to December 31, 2014
- Detailed list 2014: January 1 to December 31, 2014
- Narratives 2013: January 1 to December 31, 2013
- Detailed list 2013: January 1 to December 31, 2013
- Narratives 2012: January 1 to December 31, 2012
- Detailed list 2012: January 1 to December 31, 2012
Massachusetts Domestic Violence Homicide Reports
- Authored by Jane Doe Inc., in collaboration with Dr. Mary Gilfus, Simmons School of Social Work. Published October 2015
- Press release
- Summary and Highlights
- Authored by Jane Doe Inc., in collaboration with Dr. Mary Gilfus, Simmons School of Social Work and Diane Rosenfeld, J.D., LLM, Harvard Law School. Published December 2006
Media Coverage of Domestic Violence Homicide