Mobilizing for Massachusetts Immigrants
January 30, 2017
The Constitution protects all people in our Commonwealth.
Support the Massachusetts Safe Communities Act
The Safe Communities Act would protect the civil rights of all state residents by making sure our tax dollars are not used to help the Trump administration deport immigrant families or to create a Muslim registry. This bold new version of the Trust Act is sponsored by Sen. Jamie Eldridge and Rep. Juana Matías.
- No state support for Muslim registry.Prohibits access to information in state databases for use in any federal registry program based on national origin, religion or other protected characteristics.
- Ensures Basic Due Process Rightsfor people detained in state and local facilities for civil immigration violations. Requires informing detainees that they have the right to decline an interview with ICE agents, and to have their own attorney present (at their own expense) if they so choose.
- Use police resources to fight crime, not separate families.Ensures that state, local and campus police don’t participate in immigration enforcement activities, including inquiries, investigations, raids, arrests or detentions that are based solely on immigration status.
- Prohibits agreements with DHS that deputize local officers as immigration agents, including county officers in Bristol and Plymouth sheriff's departments.
TWO things you can do this week:
1. CALL YOUR STATE LEGISLATOR TODAY AND ASK THEM TO COSPONSOR THIS BILL! Please ask your state senator AND your state representative to cosponsor this bill before the Feb 3rd deadline! You can find your legislators here. Sample script here.
2. JOIN US FOR A KICKOFF RALLY AT THE STATE HOUSE STEPS WED, FEB 1, AT NOON!
Please like us on Facebook and say you are attending this event.