Coronavirus: Resources and Information
First and foremost, we want you to know that sexual and domestic violence organizations across Massachusetts are open and available to talk with you about your options. Please call or send a message instead of showing up to their offices as many programs continue to only provide remote support and services.
If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, please continue to reach out to your local sexual or domestic violence program. Many of these programs have hotlines, chatlines and other ways to connect.
Many of JDI’s member programs can also talk to you about legal issues that arise. Other places that provide legal guidance and representation include:
- Victim Rights Law Center (civil legal cases regarding sexual violence, campus and workplace violence): http://www.victimrights.org/
- Women’s Bar Foundation: https://wbawbf.org/content/contact-us-0
- Mass Legal Services: https://www.masslegalservices.org/covid-19
COVID-19 Through a Racial Equity Lens
These are especially challenging times for survivors who may face additional isolation and risk as well as economic hardship. It’s times like these that we need to show that we are stronger together and will not be divided by xenophobic and racist beliefs that are at the root of all oppressions. Accordingly, we are speaking out against bigotry, discrimination and violence against Asian and Chinese communities here in the US and abroad in as COVID-19 continues to spread here in Massachusetts and around the globe. We are advocating for the humane release of immigrants from ICE detention centers and supporting efforts to release non-violent offenders from prison. Indeed our work and the response to this pandemic will be driven by our values and analysis that we must focus on and follow the needs of those who are most marginalized. To explore more, one resource is Healing Justice which has published resources and a podcast addressing these intersections: Coronavirus: Wisdom from a Social Justice Lens.
Articles and resources for the general public
- What You Can Do About COVID-19 Right Now; How to Reduce Infection Rates
- Cleaning and disinfection recommendations
- List of cleaning products that are effective against COVID-19
- Home isolation guidelines for individuals in private and permanent supportive housing
- Talking to children about COVID-19 (can apply to people of all ages!)
- This may be a frightening and isolating time for survivors and their children. It is a good time to activate friends and family and community support. Check out JDI’s Friends and Family guide for tips and resource from Futures Without Violence (English and Spanish) (Spanish)
- Resources for Kids and Families from Futures Without Violence
- National Alliance on Mental Illness website offers resources, downloadables
- Massachusetts Legal Services are operating remotely and open for intake. These programs give free legal information, advice and/or representation to low-income people who live in Massachusetts. The list includes legal services programs, court based programs, law school clinics, bar association programs and other nonprofits.
- Consider ways to support sexual and domestic violence programs. Connect with your friends and colleagues and invite them to add their voice to advocacy efforts, raise funds for programs, and spread the word that survivors are not alone! Breaking through isolation can help someone experiencing abuse connect to needed services.
FACT SHEET: The impact of COVID19 pandemic in Massachusetts on sexual and domestic violence survivors. Download fac sheet here: https://jdi.coalitionmanager.org/resourcemanager/resourcefile/details/31
Helpful Links: Information is developing quickly. Follow these websites for frequent updates.
Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General (insurance, warnings regarding scams and other resources)
When you donate to JDI, you express your commitment to social justice and a world free of violence. Your charitable contribution is an investment: an investment in safer communities, an investment in saving and improving the lives of countless individuals and families, and investment in our future.
Get updates from JDI on breaking news, legislation, events, and more.